Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I like adults

I joined MOPS today!  I attended a meeting in February but now it's official; there will be two scheduled times each month I get to be with adults.  Yahoo!!  Other mommies actually.  I like adults. I need the interaction.  These women will answer questions, give advice, pray for us. They'll talk back to me...in a good way. Liam doesn't quite know how to keep the conversation going like adults do. MOPS so far has been a great place to just listen and socialize and get to know bits of the lives of other moms. We're all in the same boat and can encourage one another. Being a mom is a job like no other.


I've always been more of a listener than a talker. I do like to listen.  Liam makes fantastic baby noises. He coos and giggles and even shrieks with delight. I adore his sweet noises and enjoy listening to him.  The noises in my day are just very different than they were several months ago.  I would hear, "Mrs. Wildhaber, can I go to the bathroom?" "You make good circles." "Could you help me, please?" "Do we get to do an experiment in science today?" I used to listen and even talk a lot during my days.  Now my day is quieter and calmer, more repetitive but still joyous.  My days are filled with uncontainable joy and love.  I love being Liam's mom.  I'm even really used to it now. We have great days together.  I can say I don't miss teaching but it's still weird to think about that big change.  Last week my sister and I were out at the park with my nephew, niece and Liam.  Lukas was playing on the playground at Ryan Elementary when the school bell rang.  Kids came flooding out, smiling, chatting, giving hugs, asking questions.  It was a little sad.  I used to have relationships with kids that age.  I'd be given hugs and smiles. I'd be asked questions.  I would get to help these little kids on many levels.  I think I do miss that.  I miss the dismissal bell ringing. Haha!  Saying goodbye and see you tomorrow was the easiest part of my teaching day. You are dismissed! (More like good riddens some days :))  But they'd be back and I'd have noise and fun around me all too soon the next day.  My sister and I were talking once and I remember her sharing some of her thoughts on leaving teaching to be with her children.  She said something along the lines of, "I know I couldn't be a good teacher and a good mom at the same time."  My sister and I were both very hardworking, diligent, hands on teachers. We went the extra mile with planning and grading and interacting with our students. That took a ton of extra time.  That's the only kind of teachers we know how to be.  Lauren was right. There is no way I could be the quality teacher I was and be a quality mom whom my family can depend on.  I know some teachers can absolutely do both and that is amazing.  They can keep it all straight. I'm amazed and proud of them for being able to wear so many hats. I know someone or something would get neglected if I tried to do both. I chose to take care of my child over someone else's children.  Someday I do want to do both.  Teaching was rewarding.  Motherhood is rewarding. I'm still experiencing the differences and the different feelings/validation I get from both.  Children will always have a special place in my heart.  I know I am called to spend my days with them.  These days it's just one child, Liam.  And now, some adults will be filling my days, too!!  I like adults. These women minister to my heart in a different way than my students did or how my son does. I'm thankful there is a MOPS group close to me.  I was already friends with two women in my group so that made it even more appealing.  Oh, and today, we made cookies at MOPS. Who doesn't like that? Well, to be honest, we gathered all the dry ingredients and put them in a baggie to make at home but it's still cool! Derrick will like it.

I am looking forward to adult conversation and new friendships. I am looking forward to having something else to focus on.  I know I will learn from these women, too and that makes me excited. Liam loves people so MOPS is a good place for him to be every once in a while. The women have already mentioned that his freely given smiles make them feel better. I am blessed by his smiles for hours a day so I'm happy to share.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, my friend! I am glad that you like MOPS as much as I do. It has been very encouraging and helped put a lot of things into perspective for me. I can also relate to how you feel about teaching. I often miss it, but know I couldn't be a good mom and wife and a good teacher. There is a time and a season for everything, and this is a season to be a mom and a wife. I'm happy that we get to go through this motherhood thing together!
    On a lighter note, I baked the cookies tonight and they are delicious! Derrick WILL be happy! And thanks for sharing Liam's smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sister! What a thoughtful post. I always enjoy reading what you write--it gives me a window into what you're thinking about and I love knowing what you're thinking and feeling! :-) To me, Liam looks just like you did as a baby in the bottom photo of him in the blue sweater and he's all smiles as usual. What a sweet and handsome little boy! You are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete